Hilsa fish fry (Ilish Bhaja) Recipe
Bangali Happy New year (Pohela Boishakh) is coming.
Here is your Boishakh’s recipe
Ilish is one of most popular fishes of Bangladesh, being a seasonal fish it is relished all throughout the season in all possible variations. This fried recipe is a hard-core favourite side dish for rice & khichudi.
It’s a Bengali favourite to have rice with the oil remaining after frying the Ilish fish.
- Ilish/Hilsa – 200 gms (round pieces)
- Tumeric – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard Oil – 200 ml (for deep frying)
- Green Chillies – 2 (optional)
- Clean the Hilsa fish,
- Add the salt and turmeric to the fish in bowl, use your hand to evenly apply the salt and turmeric all over the fish pieces.
- Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the mustard oil for deep frying.
- Put the fish pieces and fry till they are golden brown.
- Strain off excess oil and serve hot with rice or khichudi or can be enjoyed alone.
Optionally, you may add 2 slit green chillies to the frying oil and use the oil remaining after frying to be had with warm boiled rice. It is a Bengali delicacy.
Recipe Servings: 2
Cook Time: 3