Photography Contest on Different Images of Men
ActionAid Bangladesh has organized a National Photography Competition on Unpaid Care Work (UCW) titled “Different Images of Men” to exhibit and encourage men to be engaged in household care work. The photographs will address issues of family relationships, class and shifting gender roles in innovative ways to speak to larger national topics of changing demographics, care work, migration and changing family structures in our society. The photography competition will depict men looking after their family members by providing childcare, elderly and disabled care. The objective is to showcase men taking part in Unpaid Care Work.
Subject of the Photograph
Man who regularly performs cooking or child care or doing household activity (home maker) or elderly and sick person’s care or all, has to be selected as subject of the photograph. Participants have to submit at least one Photo Story of the subject who fulfills the criteria as mentioned.
We, at ActionAid, aspire to create awareness about the value of Unpaid Care Work and photography can be a strong medium in this regard. We will recognise winners of the Photography Competition.
• Champion will receive 100 thousand BDT
• 1st Runner-up will receive 50 thousand BDT
• 2nd Runner-up will get 50 thousand BDT
• 7 other deserving participants will receive 10K BDT each
• All the winners will get certificate.
Rules of Participation:
• Participant must be a citizen of Bangladesh and can be a professional/amateur photographer/ social activist/ student/ professional.
• Participant must like the official Facebook Page of ActionAid Bangladesh.
• One participant can submit 1/2 Photo Story(s) with maximum of 5 photographs.
• Photo Story(s) must be on the subject and within 150 words (preferably in English) with following information:
– Subject name & Profession
– Location, Family Member, Age
– You can ask the questions like -`Why he performs this tasks, what is the social and economic impact? etc.’
• All submissions must be made through E-mail/CD/DVD /Dropbox/Google Drive.
• Manipulated, over post processed or copyright marked pictures are not allowed.
• Geographic location: Urban, Rural, Hill tracts, Chars, Slums and Coastal areas.
• Income Group: Rich/upper middle/lower middle/poor
• Photo format JPEG. Photo resolution must be at least 4000/3000 pixels (Vise versa)
• You have to fill the registration form to participate in the contest
Registration Link: https://goo.gl/sqjKhM
Last Date of Registration: April 30, 2017
Orientation: 3 May, 2017. 2PM to 5PM at ActionAid Bangladesh Office (Those who are interested to know details about the issue, we request you to come for Orientation)
Photo Submission Last date: May 30, 2017. (But if you have have already done the photography on the issue, you can submit your photo work between the timeline of 22 March to 30 May 2017)
Photo Submission Contact:
Md. Sariful Islam
Senior Officer, Communication, ActionAid Bangladesh
Road: 136, House: SE(C) 5/B (Old 8), Gulshan-1, Dhaka 1212
email@example.com (for Google drive, Dropbox….)
We also encourage professional and amateur photographers to share photo story on Unpaid Care Work in ActionAid Bangladesh event page. We will select top five story producers who will receive BDT. 4 thousand each and certificate for the work. Timeline: 22 March to 30 May 2017.
An independent panel consisting of Renowned Photographer, Photo Artist, Visual Academicians and Professionals will review and nominate the winners
Selected photographs will be featured in Photography Exhibitions in different locations in Bangladesh during the month of July 2017 including a mega event in Dhaka. We will also reproduce selected photographs in Different formats like in Photo Collages, Photo Book and Souvenir.
The dominant social norms and practice is women are disproportionally responsible for UCW which include child care, cooking, household chores and caring for adult and sick persons care. But there are many men who regularly perform UCW at home. We want to explore this role of man and showcase through photography to encourage others. It is our hope that this initiative highlighting men performing tasks that are usually associated as “women’s work”, would acknowledge the reality that many men actively provide care in their families, generate discussions and make possible a more equal distribution of care work between men and women in our societies.
• ActionAid Bangladesh will hold the copyright of selected photography to reproduce in different format.
• Under any circumstances, AAB can make any change in the rules and regulations of the competition.
Date: Tuesday, May 30
Time: 1 AM – 10 PM
House SE(C) 5/B (old 8), Road 136, Gulshan 1, 1212 Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Hosted by ActionAid Bangladesh